Sunday, January 7, 2007

Diocesian Camp Starts

Each year the Youth of the Diocese put on Diocesian Youth Camps - which are really SUPER. Today was the start of the 1st one for this year - Jovenes - ages 15 to 19. Yasuri is attending this one. She is now living with her long lost original Godmother - so I told her I would pick her up and take her to the Diocesian Office where they gather and then go off to Santa Clara where the church has The Bishop Shirley Camp-Confrence Center. It is close to the ocean so that going to the beach and swimming is part of the camp experience.

Had to leave church early to go get Yasuri. With (well placed ) foresight I had the director show me how to find the apartment building she lives in on Friday. It is the first right turn after entering a part of San Migalito from the road to the airport - BUT the turn is not very obvious and on Friday the director and I with the aid of my cell phone took about 30 minutes to find it. Today it was easy. Yasuri has one of my older duffle bags and it turns out it is the very one I used to come to Panama in 1984 for a vacation in the forest with bird netting and banding - a trip that was part of Earthwatch.

It was fun to remind people that Yasuri is an alumae for the home. In the car she told me that things were going well in her new home but that washing the dishes was a bit of a problem. She suggested that they make a schedule - and they seem to like the idea. I told her that dishwashing is often a somewhat contentious point in any home.

Next wednesday the girls in the age group 12 to 14 will return to the home so they can get ready to leave for camp on the 13th. There will be 8 girls leaving from the home and 2 others leaving from the homes they are staying in this summer.

Tia Sue

No comments: