Saturday, March 24, 2007

Now we are 22!

Today I took a 6 year old (with the reddish hair of vitimine A deficiency) to her local health clinic. The day before our driver reviewed with me how to get from where I was picking her up to the clinic and I also practiced crossing the river on a 2 foot wide bridge made of cement without handrails or steps to get up or down to it. I did well and it was a piece of cake this morning. Although we were at the clinic for 4 hours we say the nutricionist who cave some council, will provide a nutritive drink, got her paracite meds (which are free to indiginas and kinds 5 and under), iron suppliment (also free), we registered her at the health center, transfered her vaccination info to a new health card with her correct name, and she got another vaccination. Her mother has promised to take her and her 11 month old younger half brother there on Monday to do lab work and I hope get a food supplement for him. The girls father died s few years ago from snake bite. I bet you don't get that often where you work.

The sisters with the mouth virus (one has a heart murmer) have an appointment at Children's Hospital on Thursday. Also, Graciela (that is whom I probably mentioned, will come to visit the home for the weekend - off dialysis for two days. She will get to meet the kids and I hope enjoy the visit a bit. . Then, after Easter I hope she can move in quickly so she can get going in school.

We have a new 5 year old who is a handfull but she has a brillient smile. She is in Kinder and is starting a the beginning as she has had no school experience or experience with older sisters as our other kinder girl has.

The three in first grade (all three entereing the grade later in life than usual ) are doing well. All three can write their names and seem to like school.

It is very lively around here with 22 girls 14 in Primary and the rest in secondary, especially in the morning when they are all doing their homework - something I am very involved with. We have girls in every grade from Kinder to 9th with the exception of second. I give a lot of help in math, some in English and some in Spanish - especially reading and reading comprehension.

No comments: